While December may be the season for charity and goodwill, around here February through May is the season for charitable events and auctions at our Lutheran
schools! Most organizations avoid the summer (everyone goes to “the lake”… but they never seem to invite me there), so they either hold their dinner/auctions in the fall between Labor Day and early November, or they plan their activities February to May.
While most raise funds for a specific need, such as scholarships or new computers, more are starting to raise funds to meet the endowment match challenge from The Lutheran Foundation (more on that next week).
As we approach the auction season, please keep in mind the following helpful reminders:
- If your school’s event has a silent auction, don’t go with a garage sale mentality… this is an event to raise money, so you should plan to “purchase a $20 bill for $40”…
- Most dinner/auctions have a “paddle raise” or “cash auction” component where attendees simply raise their hand to support the need directly… bring your checkbook!
- While you should verify with your tax advisor, generally speaking, cash donations and auction items purchased above their retail value are eligible for tax advantages…
- Bring your friends! Events can be fun are are not necessarily just for parents, grandparents, and church members… everyone benefits by supporting Christian education…
Below is a current list of events planned by our schools… contact them directly for more details. And, remember 2 Corinthians 9:7, “God loves a cheerful giver”. Go the event with an open heart and open wallet (or debit card) and support Lutheran education!
- Concordia Lutheran: Thursday, February 16, 2017
- St. Peter-Immanuel Lutheran: Saturday, March 4, 2017
- Wyneken Memorial Lutheran: Saturday, March 4, 2017
- Holy Cross Lutheran: Friday, March 10, 2017
- Suburban Bethlehem Lutheran: Saturday, March 11, 2017
- St. Paul’s Lutheran: Saturday, March 18, 2017
- Emmanuel-St. Michael Lutheran: Thursday, March 23, 2017
- Concordia Lutheran High School: Saturday, April 22, 2017
- Bethlehem Lutheran: Saturday, April 29, 2017
- Central Lutheran: Saturday, April 29, 2017
- Ascension Lutheran: Thursday, May 4, 2017
- St. John Lutheran: Friday, May 5, 2017
- St. Peter Lutheran, Saturday, May 6, 2017
- Emmaus Lutheran: Saturday, May 19, 2017
- Schools with events in Fall 2017:
- Lutheran South Unity
- Woodburn Lutheran